Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:08:44 +0100
From:      Firas Kraiem <firas@itsuki.fkraiem.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.0 crashes

On Sunday 16 March 2008 20:43:03 illoai@gmail.com wrote:
> On 16/03/2008, Firas Kraiem <firas@itsuki.fkraiem.org> wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> >  I have a 7.0 system (upgraded from 6.2 to 6.3 then to 7.0 using
> >  freebsd-update) and I've experienced a few system crashes (the
> > system just hard-reboots on it's own) that seem to happen when it
> > is under heavy network load (downloading at several
> > megabytes/second).
> >
> >  Nothing gets written in /var/log/messages when the crashes happen,
> > and I'm a bit clueless about how to investigate the issue further,
> > so ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> Lo, back in the days of fbsd4.1.1 (or thereabouts) a
> similar problem had I: random crashes under network
> load with no core files, no dumps, no errors.
>
> Try replacing your NIC.

Thanks for your answer.

The NIC in question is a Realtek 8139 and indeed, Google told me that a
few people have been experiencing similar issues with it. However, that
was with old (4.x/5.x) FreeBSD releases, so I'm wondering: is this
particular NIC model still causing problems or is it the NIC breaking
in some way? The reason I ask is that the machine is a dedicated server
over which I have no hardware control, so asking the provider to
replace the NIC with another model could be a bit bothersome.

Firas

GnuPG public key: http://itsuki.fkraiem.org/gpgkey