Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:18:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        jbutt@mwci.net, joe@via.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kinda hung system ??

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Mark Tinguely wrote:

> >  Correct me if I am wrong but I think that is what the land.c program does
> >  to freeBSD 2.2.5 machines (that 2 weeks was sorta nuts so I do not
> >  remember much other than I spent way to long upgrading way too many
> >  machines.. )
>
> I have seen this asked on the newsgroup, but no one answered...is there
> a LAND network fix for FreeBSD 2.2.5. I know there is a fix for -current.
> there is no patches for LAND in
>
> 	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.5-RELEASE/updates/
>
> or in the CERT directories as of this morning.
>
> --mark.

Well, it just happened to me again, and while I was sitting through
another fsck, I remembered that this happens regardless of whether or not
my network connection is running, so unless you can transmit this program
over a LAN by specifying the ether address (The DHCP server won't
talk to my computer unless I just continuously send DHCPREQUESTs for
several hours and maybe get lucky at some point in time) then I seriously
doubt I am falling victim to this attack. My guess is that a bug of some
kind has crept into a driver or daemon, though I don't know what.  I did
notice during this last hang, that it occurred right as Cron was waking
up, and XLoad showed a sudden spike in activity (I also heard the hard
drive right as it died).  And I did notice a problem with Cron sometime in
the past.  One of root's crontabs had somehow gotten messed up, and when I
tried to edit it, it would never save the new tab, and Cron suddenly
started running at 80% of my CPU.  This particular problem has only
happened the one time.  Has anyone else noticed strange problems with
Cron? And could that be the cause of these crashes if there is a bug in
the program?
Jonathan Fosburgh, wotan@scientist.com , University of Houston Geophysics
http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498

FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations
http://www.freebsd.org
                     We shall not cease from exploration,
                And the end of our exploring shall be to arrive
            Where we started from, and know the place for the first time.
                       --T.S. Eliot, The Four Quartets