Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 21:13:10 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIXED: NCR problem until -stable

On Feb 3, 21:49, "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
} Subject: FIXED: NCR problem until -stable

Sorry, I'm late to join in ...

(We had lots of hardware problems yesterday,
and I finally had taken a free weekend on
last Saturday and Sunday :)

} Hi...
}
} 	After figuring out that scbus wasn't a known symbol, and
} looking through the ncr.c code, I recompiled the kernel using gcc
} 2.6.3 instead of 2.7.2, and the system is operational again.
}
} 	That's for the lesson in DDB, since without that, I would never
} have figured this out on my own.
}
} 	One stupid question though...in ncr.c, the "offending" code
} was where statements like:
}
} #if (__FreeBSD__ >= 2)
}         struct scsibus_data *scbus;
} #endif
}
} 	happened.  Where its checking to see if __FreeBSD__ >= 2...now,
} I realize that if my 2.7.2 was proper, this wouldn't happen, but since
} this is 2.1-STABLE, is there a reason why those statements aren't just
} changed to
}
} #if (__FreeBSD__)
}         struct scsibus_data *scbus;
} #endif

The NCR driver is supposed to still work under 1.1.5.1
(with a little backporting effort), and changing the
condition would make this harder ...

But I think I'll change it as you suggest, anyway, if
there are no complaints ...

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160