Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 08:46:38 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, jkh@freebsd.org, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, cvs-release@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release boot_crunch.conf

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >
> > [please delete committers etc if you reply to this - this belong in hackers]
> >
> > > Well, I was mostly just trying to get the SNAPshot servers happy again...
> > >
> > > As to making it a compile-time option..  Hmmm.  I like the idea of
> > > saving space, but it would also complicate the build to have two
> > > versions of ppp build at release time.  What we really need is a
> > > dynamically loadable alias module. :-)
> >
> > It shouldn't be too hard to use libalias through dlopen()/dlsym(),
> > should it?  I've never used these interfaces, but the aliasing
> > routines need only about three calls to work.
>
> For dlopen/dlclose/etc to work, it requires that the calling executable is
> dynamically linked, linked with libc.so.xx and that /usr/libexec/ld.so is
> present.  A dynamic libc is important since if libalias makes any libc
> calls (memcpy, strcmp, etc) then the symbols have to be dynamically
> resolveable.  For sysinstall on the boot floppy, this is probably a
> showstopper.  However, at runtime on an installed system, there's probably
> not much stopping /usr/bin/ppp from doing this.

I recently changed ld so that you can link a dynamic executable even if it
doesn't use any dynamic libs.  This means that the symbol table is
generated and the program can load new libraries but it is itself static.
Use the -Bforcedynamic flag to ld instead of -Bdynamic.

I must remember to document this stuff in the manpage :-(

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039