Date:      Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:49:18 -0500
From:      Eric McCoy <emccoy@haystacks.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Potential dangers with big arrays

I'm planning to build a fairly large - somewhere from 1TB to 1.75TB in
size - array behind a hardware RAID controller and put FreeBSD on it.
But after being a good boy and Googling for information before laying
out a couple grand, I discovered that FreeBSD might not have such great
support for large filesystems.  The last bit of useful information I
found was from July 2004, so the situation might have changed since then
and I figured I'd ask.

What sort of problems can I expect to see?  Aesthetic problems, like
negative numbers in df, are not a worry.  The vast majority of files
will be 1GB or smaller, so that's not a concern either.  But the guy who
did those tests in July got "no space left on device" after using up
only 800GB or so, and that obviously would be a problem.  Naturally I
can, and will, test this myself when I get the hardware, but I'm
concerned that there may be creeping invisible problems which might
result in frequent panics or loss of data - problems which might not
become apparent until after I've reached the point where I no longer
have enough room to play musical chairs with my data (which will be
about 400GB in).

Any information anyone has, even if it's just a pointer to who or where
I should be asking instead, will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.