Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 01:26:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Come on guys, close a PR or two, will ya ?

> Isn't it about time the ports project took on a life of its own?  Not that

It already has done exactly that, and some time ago.  That's still no
reason to duplicate all the infrastructure (like GNATS) for it since
that'd otherwise mean that somebody on the ports team would have to go
reimplement all that stuff for their "truly separate" project.

I also think that every attempt to unify efforts with the other *BSDs
has already been made and pushing the ports folks further away from
FreeBSD isn't going to help.  The problem with getting them to work
with us isn't one of perception ("we'd only be helping those evil
FreeBSD folks") but time - the volunteers just don't have enough
of it available to do a more thorough job of integration.

					Jordan