Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 11:29:58 +0000
From:      Justin Ashworth <justin@structured.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound in FreeBSD?

OK, I've looked everywhere for information about setting up sound
under FreeBSD, but haven't found much at all. I have Soundblaster
support compiled into the kernel for my Soundblaster-compatible card
(Ensoniq Soundscape).

I get the following lines when I boot:
------------
sb0 at 0x220 irq 9 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 2.0>
sbxvi0 not found
sbmidi0 not found at 0x330
------------

Here are the pertinent lines in my kernel source:
------------
controller snd0
device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 9
device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 3
device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
------------

Also, I executed "sh MAKEDEV snd0" from the /dev directory to create the
device nodes, but I still don't see /dev/snd0 as a device. Is snd0
supposed to be an actual device, or is it merely a parameter to tell
MAKEDEV which devices to create?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Justin Ashworth, justin@structured.net
"Well, you can get away with mistakes as an engineer...
You call it being creative."
                               - Roy Langdon (Spacehog)