Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2013 23:46:15 -0400
From:      Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
To:        Scott Newell <newell+sparc@n5tnl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: U60 needs two tries to boot 8.3 UFS/ZFS?

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:25:16PM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 10:09 PM 4/5/2013, Kurt Lidl wrote:
>
> >Since it's a new install, you'd probably be better served by trying
> >to get 9.1 running.
>
> I burned 3 cds trying 9.1.  None would boot ("no kernel"), so I went
> with 8.3.  (I was trying the
> ftp://ftp10.us.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/9.1/FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-sparc64-disc1.iso
> image.  My MD5 sums matched.)
>
> I'm willing to try 9.1 again, but it'll have to be netboot as I just
> broke (!) the cd-rom drive re-trying the 9.1 install disk.

It looked, from your previous message, like you have a running system
installed onto the first disk (da0) of the machine, and you're
trying to get ZFS installed onto the second disk (da1).

I've posted before with a pointer to the original text file
I created showing how to install a ZFS only sparc64 machine.

	http://www.pix.net/ftp/pub/freebsd/sparc_zfs_setup.txt

You could probably take that script and hack it to work to
install 9.1 into the second disk of the machine.

I think you'd only have to set "d0=da1" in that script, and
teach it that the distfiles are not in /usr/freebsd-dist,
and that the loader binaries are not just in the /boot
directory.  In other words, it probably wouldn't be too
hard to make it work when doing a cross-install from an
8.x host to a second disk on the same machine.

-Kurt