Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 20:53:48 -0800
From:      "William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/db/pkg/.mkversion

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 02:22:57PM -0500, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > I think this entire thing is a massive botch and needs to be removed
> > as a bad idea ASAP.
>
> I think that's jumping to conclusions a little too quickly.
>
> Jordan, we are eliminating a LOT more future PRs and FAQs by using this
> method. A few permission and installation oversights (no software can ever
> be tested on every possible instance.) should not constitute removal of
> the whole idea.

At minimum, the implementation is off...

What /var/db/pkg/.mkversion is tracking w/ the current implementation
it the date of the last _installation_ of the make files...  Wouldn't
just a "MKPKG_VERSION=xxyyzz" inside of the relevant make file work
easier?  What's _really_ trying to be accomplished w/ .mkversion?
Tracking the version/date of the "make" binary, of the full set
of "share/mk" files, of just the ports related makefiles?