Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 04:40:45 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net>
To:        Chia-liang Kao <clkao@CirX.ORG>, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with vr0

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 12:42:01PM +0800, Chia-liang Kao wrote:
> I did a `ping 192.168.100.1', and there is no response and no messages
> at all. I think the most interesting part of this is that I can see
> both of the lights on the hub blinking when I ping 192.168.100.1;
> while only the light of the other side blinks when he pings me.

I use this driver as well, and have had conversations with Bill Paul before on
this.  It is now working well enough for my needs (but not anywhere resembling
perfect -- transfers either direction have to be initiated from a different
host).  Maybe your machine and my machine that flakes out are similar:

[excerpts from dmesg]
CPU: AMD Am5x86 Write-Back (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x4f4  Stepping=4
  Features=0x1<FPU>
real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
chip0: <SiS 85c496> rev 0x31 on pci0.5.0
vr0: <VIA VT3043 Rhine I 10/100BaseTX> rev 0x06 int a irq 9 on pci0.13.0
vr0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:0c:c0:03:c1
vr0: autoneg complete, link status good (half-duplex, 10Mbps)

The best conclusion I could come up with is that particular PCI chipset is
flakey [maybe the entire chipset].  Only one pci card I have tried in that
system has worked properly, and that was a display adapter -- this is out of
about 6 different PCI cards of various types.

--
Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net> / Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
"Americans are sensitive about their money, and since this was the first major