Date:      Sun, 17 May 2020 10:21:55 -0500
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
To:        mike@karels.net
Cc:        pi@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible problem with pkg in FreeBSD11.4-BETA2

Mike Karels <mike@karels.net> wrote:

> >      On Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 16:05:09 +0200 Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
> > wrote:

> > > Use
> > >
> > > pkg bootstrap -f
> > >
> > > There's some hickup in the upgrade path between your version
> > > and the most current, so...
> > >
> >      He switched from -RELEASE packages to -STABLE packages.
>
> Are BETA releases treated as -STABLE?  If so, would this problem be
> expected?  If so, it should be handled much more gracefully.  If not,
> I don't think that's the problem; I'm reasonably sure this machine
> has only been upgraded with freebsd-update; it was running an 11.3
> patch version.

     Now that you ask, that's a good question.  I haven't run "make buildworld"
and "make buildkernel" since 28 April because I'm trying to minimize being forced
to reboot by the kernel's memory management bugs, so my stable/11 system still
says "11.4-PRERELEASE".  It has been long enough since 11.3 happened that I don't
recall whether it went through a transition period of BETAx and RCx changes as it
changed from 11.2 to 11.3.  Of course, those memory management bugs first caused
big problems starting when 11.2 happened, so I may have missed some of the
transition due to infrequent system updates.  I only remember that it won't say
it's 11.4-STABLE until the release happens and I've updated /usr/src and built and
installed a new system.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *