Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:46:45 +0100
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Going small

Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:

>m0n0wall will run from a HD aswell as a CD-ROM/Floppy

Sure, but I'll be happier with the (becoming more) familiar full
=46reeBSD and may even try current :|
The php/XML speak was foreign to me too.

>>True but I've read that flashcards tend to fail after a lot of writes
>>and I need storage space anyway...
>>
>Thats true but if you load the system onto a ram disk you only have to=20
>read off the flashcard once at boot up......

Good point.  I'll definitely try it (or pico) when I get a flashcard.

>another way is mount the filesystem etc. on it and point /tmp, /var and=20
>swap onto a ram drive (corse why point swap to a ram drive LOL)

I may even try swap on a ram drive just to see what happens :)
It's only got 128MB though so I hope to keep as much of it available
as possible for the applications.  Though I guess /tmp and /var
shouldn't grow much with no X running.  Definitely a custom Kernel.

Speaking of which; I ventured into OpenBSD land recently and was
surprised by the size of the kernel compared to Free's GENERIC.
But that's another story...

>basicly, minimize the need for the system to read/write (mainly write)=20
>to the flash card and you'll be fine.
>google around for embedded, bsd, mini, etc.

Will do, thanks.

--=20
John.