Date:      13 Jul 1999 15:11:26 -0400
From:      rme@nightfly.apk.net (R. Matthew Emerson)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

"Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> But I have a valid point: can we do something better than posting a SIGKILL
> to the largest process?

If I remember correctly, AIX sends a signal to all processes asking
them to free up memory.  (Processes ignore this signal by default.) If
nobody responds, then it selects a victim and blows it away.  I think
it is nice to processes that catch the signal and try to free up
memory in that it won't kill them first.  (What would you call such a
signal, SIGDIET?)

I guess memory overcommit is desirable in a "worse is better" kind of
way, because it is clearly not "the right thing." :-( (see section 2.1
of http://naggum.no/worse-is-better.html)

-matt
[cc:'s trimmed]