Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:33:46 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Timothy J Luoma <luomat+Lists/FreeBSD/Hardware@luomat.peak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD on 386 acting as a router?

Timothy J Luoma wrote:

> I just found out that they are giving away old 386's at my school tomorrow.
>
> I don't know anything about them, other than that they are 386's (and have a
> monitor/keyboard/hard drive).
>
> a) how likely is it that I could actually get this machine to install FreeBSD?
>
> b) could it handle being a router/firewall to a two-machine lan (behind a
> cable modem)?
>
> If this were a 486 I'd be relatively comfortable of my chances.....
>
> TjL
>
> ps -- how much HD space do I need for a basic system (commandline, no X
> stuff) to handle NATD?
>
> Thanks for any help at all....

It'l work fine.

you can even get one with no hard drive and it will work fine
the 'picoBSD' project has  a single floppy

see http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/

you'll need 8MB of RAM
and 2 ethernet cards ($40 each these days)
it may even be possible to make it work with LESS ram than that.

you may even be able to boot it off the network with NO floppy and less
ram if you can get your hands on the right enet cards and a eprom