Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:35:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hm@kts.org, ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> > > This is, of course, not really a useful solution.  Please people,
> > > don't assume that the last decade has been devoid of programmers that
> > > understand the PC's video subsystem - none of the ideas that have been
> > > raised recently are original, and the fact that they haven't been
> > > implemented should tell you something very important.
> >
> > That the FreeBSD hackers have problems implementing something the
> > Linux guys already have?  8-) 8-) 8-).
>
> Huh? They call the BIOS out of their bootstrap loader to set the video
> mode.  Yay; I prefer the space used in ours to do the serial console
> stuff properly.

Look at the "Linux GGI" code (run a search on AltaVista for it, or
look for "Generic Graphic Interface" in the Linux groups on DejaNews).
It is *exactly* the "super console" design that never got done in
the BSD camps after it was first discussed in fall of 1993.

You won't find it on the "Linux roadmap" because Linus won't integrate
it, even though it works.

> The SVGATextmode stuff had been done for FreeBSD, and if I thought it
> was worth the effort, I'd try to help Soren get it working.  As it is,
> a $60 PCI video card gives more than enough X grunt for snazzy text modes
> to be a complete waste of time.

That code is totally unrelated to the GGI code; it's not what I'm
referring to.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---