Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:12:05 -0500
From:      tcobb@staff.circle.net
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP and libc_r

Quickie Q:

Should I expect to see performance improvements with SMP
and a multithreaded app using libc_r?  The app in question
is MySQL and doing the sql benchmarks with an SMP (dual pII 350)
and non-smp kernel for the same box, I see much faster
times with the non-smp version.

system is:
FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Feb 22 00:41:53 GMT 1999
root@geek.circle.net:/u
sr/src/sys/compile/DOU-MU-2-NO_SMP

I find it strange, but in the smp version the mysql daemon process
seems to spend an awful lot of time in STATE "getblk".

I'd appreciate pointers or tuning suggestions to make this work
better.

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.
 http://www.circle.net