Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 17:33:52 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can we just come to a decision on IPv6 and IPSec?

Additionally:

FreeBSD is their main developement platform and I have the feeling
they are more than willed to contribute their work to us and
generally *BSD...

From:
	http://www.kame.net/project-overview.html#release

----- snip ----------
Releasing Plan

Our main development platform is currently FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE
at this moment (and will be future 2.2.x-RELEASE).

We have chosen 2.2.x-RELEASE because:

     it is excellent for daily use.
     well-maintained "ports" tree helps us modify applications to support IPv6.
     and 3.0-current is too hard to track if we maintain cvs
     repository separately.

We also support BSDI 3.1 and NetBSD 1.3.2. They are in-sync with
FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE version of KAME stack.

We plan to release KAME kit in three ways:

     SNAP is for for hackers/researchers, will be released once a
     week (every Monday). It will include whole bunch of experimental
     items. It may or may not be stable.

     STABLE is for more broader public, will be made twice a month
     (odd months). Many documents are supposed to be updated in
     STABLE. Since it is aimed to be a stable snapshot, experimental
     items are not included in STABLE kits.

     RELEASE is an official release for us, will be made twice a
     year (September and March).

Also, we are happy to merge our stack to *BSD cvs repository. We'd
like to provide the stack for other *BSDs too, if time and human
resource allows.  Even if we cannot afford the man power or cannot
merge our code into some *BSD repository, we will release
easy-to-install kit for those *BSDs.

For FreeBSD, we are now porting KAME stack to FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP-980426,
and then there will be a port for 3.0-current. After we completed
the work, we would like to merge our code to FreeBSD master
repository, and then we can promise to maintain sys/netinet6 and
related part of 3.0-current, at least while the KAME project is
there.

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?