Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:09:00 +1100
From:      David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
To:        Hexren <me@hexren.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient problems in 5.3-RELEASE

Hexren (me@hexren.net) [050124 07:02]:

> DG> On reboot, I ran dhclient and it completely failed to get an IP address.
> DG> But I know the cable is good and the DHCP server is working, because I
> DG> booted the box in question into Windows and it grabbed an IP just fine. So
> DG> where do I start on diagnosing what's up with this installation?

> Start by sniffing the network traffic on the DHCP Server machine while
> you request an address. See where it differs from the usual. Maybe the
> problem becomes obvious then. :)

As I noted, it served fine to the Windows installation on the same box on
the same wire from the same server. Also, just before installing 5.3, it
was serving just fine to FreeBSD 4.10 on the same box on the same wire from
the same server. The only factor that's different is the software and OS
running. I'm wondering what if anything's changed in dhclient between
4.10 and 5.3 ... is there some daft but obvious gotcha I've missed? Or are
you saying the 5.3 dhclient is much, much fussier in some way?

- d.