Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:45:07 +0100
From:      morten.gulbrandsen@t-online.de (Morten Gulbrandsen)
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Albert Kinderman <albert.kinderman@csun.edu>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4 and startx

Albert Kinderman wrote:

> A small mistake.  you need XFREE86_VERSION=4.  The message that comes
> with XFree86-4 is as follows:

> * To improve security, the X server is installed without an SUID bit.  *
> * This is suitable for use with xdm, but not with a startx script.     *
> * If you need to use a startx script, install the x11/wrapper package. *
> * If XFree86-4 is not a basic part of your operating system, add the   *
> * following line to /etc/make.conf: XFREE86_VERSION=4                  *
Interesting, I will investigate my /etc/make.conf

bash-2.04$ cat make.conf
USA_RESIDENT=NO
PAPERSIZE=a4
MASTER_SITE_BACKUP?=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUB
DIR}/
MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE?=ftp://ftp.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIS
T_SUBDIR}/
ftp://ftp7.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/
MASTER_SITE_GNU?=ftp://ftp7.de.freebsd.org/pub/mirror/gnu/prep.ai/%SUBDIR%/
MASTER_SORT_REGEX?=^file:
^ftp://ftp\.FreeBSD\.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distf
iles/ ://[^/]*\.de/ ://[^/]*\.de\.

Adding one line is not a problem, at the beginning ?

> Albert Kinderman wrote:
> >
> > If you use XFree86-4 with startx, there are permission problems (related
> > to security).  In order for you to use startx, you must install
> > x11/wrapper.

This is interesting, please tell me more .

 Quoting from the package description,

> > "This program runs an X server after sanity-checking the environment
> > and any options passed to it.  It is meant to enhance security on
> > multi-user systems running XFree86 4, where the ability to use a
> > startx script is needed.  If you have XFree86 3, do not install
> > this:  you do not need it and it will not work.  If you have no
> > untrusted users or always run the X server from xdm, you do not
> > need this (in the latter case, just take the suid bit off your X
> > server)."
> >
> > There is also a message that is part of the XFree86-4 port.  You should
> > have seen it at the end of the make or the end of the install (I
> > forget).  You can see the message in the sub-directory
> > /var/db/pkg/XFree86-4

This is interesting, I will take a look right now

bash-2.04$ pwd
/var/db/pkg
bash-2.04$ cd XFree86-
XFree86-3.3.6_4            XFree86-clients-4.0.1
XFree86-4.0.1_8            XFree86-documents-4.0.1
XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3     XFree86-libraries-4.0.1_2

bash-2.04$ ls -l XFree86-4.0.1_8
total 371
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      34 Dec 25 01:12 +COMMENT
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  360642 Dec 25 01:12 +CONTENTS
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     156 Dec 25 01:12 +DESC
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     365 Dec 25 01:12 +DISPLAY

I found the subdirectory, what can I do now ?
I can see no message, can you ?

> > If you make wrapper from ports, you need to have to have the following
> > line in your /etc/make.conf
> >
> > XFREE_VERSION=4

OK I got it,

> > --
> > Albert Kinderman             California State University, Northridge
> > Systems and Operations Management          albert.kinderman@csun.edu
>
> --
> Albert Kinderman             California State University, Northridge
> Systems and Operations Management          albert.kinderman@csun.edu

Thank you for this valuable piece of information,
at the end of next week I will try that with a
NetBSD expert together.

Do you believe the difference between NetBSD  and FreeBSD
is significant regarding the x server ?

What is your opinion, where should I start ?
remember I just went into /usr/ports/x11/ and started to install
everything,
just befor that, my freebsd was shining.
What we can do now is warn newbies about installing from /usr/ports/x11/
and investigate what went wrong.

I have so much important stuff here i just can't make fdisk.
Why can't just all those dangerous make install files in the
wrong directories just be removed?

I choose FreeBSD because of the variety of compilers and find FreeBSD a
lot easier
for installing a compiler than Linux .
But this accident can be prevented.

Yours Sincerely