Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:11:58 -0400
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of video-ati nowadays?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:35:15 +0200
Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a long time, I tried booting X on a machine with Radeon X1600.
> With the "vesa" driver it works fine, though slow in the usual
> operations (compositing, transparency). I upgraded the ati driver to
> the latest (6.9) and, while it managed to start, it was extraordinary
> slow (much slower than vesa) and had a funny bug in Xfce Terminal,
> where the "black" color of characters in the terminal would become
> transparent, showing pixels underneath the window.
>
> Is this normal (i.e. the driver still doesn't support the card) or am
> I doing something wrong? The xorg.conf is plain and boring, without
> any special tuning, the dri and radeon kernel modules are loaded.
> This is on 8-CURRENT.

To get decent 2D acceleration, you need an updated DRM from freedesktop
git.  To get 3D acceleration, you need an updated Mesa from freedesktop
git.  And, finally, to get working AIGLX, you need an updated xserver
from freedesktop git :-)

If you want to try that:

http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/git

Adam