Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:56:14 -0500
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions !!!!" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to transfer Mail from old machine to new FreeBSD box ....

.... Well, I am down to the snorting post, the last task I need to
complete before putting my new FreeBSD 9.3 box into service, replacing
this one (AMD64X2 3800+, FC14 64-bit, terminally patched up several
years ago). Unfortunately, it looks like a bit of a doozy. I need to get
the Mail directory from the old machine to the new one. To start with, I
just copied the whole thing. 35 min. later when it was done, I invoked
T-bird on the FreeBSD box & none of the Mail-directory was visible :-/.
That method worked AOK the last time I used it, 10+ years ago when I put
the old box into service :-). That was also the last time I tried, last
time I needed to do that. Is what I am doing supposed to work ? If not,
how am I supposed to do this ? Mind you, there are yearly archives going
back into the '90's, which I want preserved. The whole Mail directory is
~20 GiB :-/ .... thunderbird.x86_64 17.0.7-1.fc14.remi on the Fedora
box, thunderbird 31 on the FreeBSD (box std,) .... TIA for any pointers ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.