Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:03:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        stuyman@confusion.net (Laurence Berland)
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP!!!! Beyond lost on address prob

Laurence Berland wrote,
> How do I assign a machine its address on my subnet?? Am I totally lost?
> I feel like this is a question whose answer is so obvious that I'd be
> laughed at for posting it to Questions.  Help!

Two things,

(1) To make it so that your computer knows its IP address at each
    start up, edit the line in rc.conf,

    ifconfig_<dev>="inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd netmask 255.255.255.0"

    Where '<dev>' is the name of your network device (look in your
    dmesg output, you have a NIC right?), and 'aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd' is the
    machine's address. I assumed the mask is 255.255.255.0, but it
    might be something else. We'd have to know the details of your
    network.

(2) To get it to work NOW, use the same information as above accept
    enter, while root (the Super-User),

    # ifconfig <dev> inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd netmask 255.255.255.0

OK, three things,

(3) If this is all a bit much for you, run /stand/sysinstall as root
    and go to 'Configure,' then 'Networking,' and then 'Interfaces.'
    Answer the questions and fill in the blanks.

All (1) does is automatically do the command line in (2) in the
startup scripts. If you are still at a loss, please let us know.

HTH.