Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:06:58 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: gzip packages on FreeBSD 4-STABLE

--==_Exmh_2059717676P

If memory serves me right, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2002-09-24 08:42:33 (-0700), Bruce A. Mah <bmah@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Due to some difficulties encountered while testing bzip2 packages for
> > FreeBSD 4.7-RC1, the Release Engineering team (with agreement from the Port
> > Manager team) has decided to revert back to gzip packages, at least for the
> > remaining 4.7-RC snapshots and 4.7-RELEASE.
>
> Would it not be more preferable to have support for both gzip and bzip2
> packages?  Perhaps with a command-line switch (-g, -b) pkg_add could be told
> to look for a different kind of compression.

It's more complicated than that.  Some things, such as "pkg_add -r" and
sysinstall, require that pkg_add be able to automatically handle
whatever type of compression gets thrown at them.

This isn't an impossible problem to solve, but we judged that it was
more than we could handle for 4.7-RELEASE.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_2059717676P

--==_Exmh_2059717676P--