Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:19:52 -0800
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        alan bryan <alan.bryan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of igb on FreeBSD 8 stable?

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:46:14AM -0800, alan bryan wrote:
> I did some searching last night and found others using igb on Intel Cards having high interrupts and other strange issues and some comments to the effect that igb is soon going to have a lot of work done to it (I believe Jack Vogel is working on it).  So, can someone give an estimation as to how soon that may be and how soon it may make it to 8-stable?  If it's going to be a while I may look into adding a card using a different driver to test.

igb(4) in HEAD would be more stable but I haven't had time to
experiment it. Last time I tried previous igb(4) driver which was
shipped with 8.0-RELEASE showed several issues under high network
loads as you might know. I have a patch which could be applied to
8.0-RELEASE or stable/8.
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/igb/igb.buf.patch6

The patch would fix unresponsive system under high network load as
well as reducing number of interrupts. The patch also contains
bus_dma(9) and watchdog timeout fix.