Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2001 07:59:37 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh problem upgrading to 4.2-stable

Pete French wrote:

> So, yesterday we upgraded the last machine running 3.5 here to 4.2 stable
> (CVSuped on saturday I believe). All went very smoothly and everything runs
> fine except for ssh. We are using openssh, and it rejects peoples
> passwords with "Permission denied, please try again."
>
> I seem to recall reading that password encryptionc hanged from MD5 to DES
> between 3.x and 4.x - and I suspect this could be the problem. The
> /usr/lib/libcrypt.so file is a link to libdescrypt.so, so I assume
> we are now using DES passwords. Old users have MD5 passwords, but new
> users are created with DES passwords. Using 'passwd' however converts them
> to MD5. I have checked auth.conf, mailing list archives and done a web
> search and am running out of ideas.

Well besides the problem with /etc/pam.conf if you didnt install the new one,
you can choose what password format you want use in /etc/login.conf by using
the line passwd_format=md5 or des...

Also as a side note, the des libs understand both des and md5 crypts, but the
md5 libs only understand md5 crypt...

Good luck!
Kal.