Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:55:20 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        ocean <ocean_ieee@yahoo.it>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_8 buildworld broken?

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 20:32:39 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:36:26 +0100
> > From: ocean <ocean_ieee@yahoo.it>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> >
> > Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> > > The problem only occurs when doing a parallel make world (make -j8
> > > buildworld). In the past I have always successfully built world using
> > > -j4. I guess the recent upgrade of this machine from dual core to quad
> > > core just made the problem visible.
> > >
> > > - Pieter
> > >
> > actually that's not the only problem with buildworld in 8.0.
> > -march isn't added to CFLAGS using CPUTYPE in make.conf, you should add
> > it manually to CFLAGS.
Actually, the way you specified CFLAGS overrides CPUTYPE. AFAIK you should set
CFLAGS/CPUTYPE like this:
CPUTYPE?=....
CFLAGS+=...

Though bothering with CPUTYPE or CFLAGS is actually a waste of time if you ask
me. I've never observed any measurable improvement in the speed of the system
by setting these. Note that most ports which DO benefit from specialized
CFLAGS (mplayer comes to mind) have an option called WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.

> > on another thread was said that make delete-old is
> > also broken (and i suspect also delete-old-libs), so options in src.conf
> > are pretty useless. all the problems seems to be triggered by
> > Makefile.incl

These options are not useless. You can for instance use them to reduce build
time and/or install only the binaries required for a jail or an embedded
system.

> In what way is delete-old broken?
>
> I agree that src.conf often does not work. Just try to build a system
> with 'WITHOUT_OPENSSH='. PR with patch to Makefile.inc1 submitted by
> b.f. three or four months ago. So far, no response.
>
> I have seen the really bad suggestion that somehow files not built due
> to src.conf entries be added to the list of old files to be
> deleted. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!
>
> The single most important use I have for /etc/src.conf is to avoid
> system upgrades over-writing the files for ssh and BIND when the ports
> are installed to overwrite those in the base system. I certainly don't
> want a delete-old to try to delete the files installed from ports.
I agree completely. Obsolete files is there for files that will never be built
again and are generally useless/broken (or break other stuff) when left on
the filesystem. It's called "ObsoleteFiles" for a reason :)