Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:16:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        crh@outpost.co.nz
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> > Even ignoring this, the rotating record head is away from the
> > tape media for longer than the vertical blanking interval, and
> > that means that you get a 1.5 reduction in frame rate.  This
> > reduction in frame rate is even more noticible because of
> > horizontal retrace in PAL vs. NTSC.
> >
> > The result is that the 525 lines of vertical resolution are reduced
> > to 200 for VHS, 400 for SuperVHS
>
> Erm, actually I think you're getting a couple of things confused here
> Terry.

You're right, I mistyped "vertical" instead of "horizontal"; if you
looked at my link references, they had the information right.

> Firstly, I don't know what you're trying to say about frame rate, as
> far as I'm aware PAL video runs at 50 fields (25 frames) per second
> and NTSC runs at 60 fields (30 frames) per second [1].

Frame rate was referring to the number of horizontal time number
of vertical display pixels (as opposed to tape pixels) per frame.
When reading from a tape, you end up with fewer full frames of
data a second.  This is actually to be expected, or we would all
be using televisions instead of computer monitors.  8-).

> Some camera test charts actually have a resolution grid on them, with
> horizontal and vertical lines drawn in an increasingly-finer
> gradient. When you can no longer distinguish individual lines, you've
> hit the resolution limit of the camera (or monitor, or whatever).

Cameras are another matter entirely.  Many CCD cameras did not
equal television resolution for a long time, and included even
vertical pixel "tweening" as a result.  8-(.

> VHS, as Terry mentioned, has about 200-240 lines resolution. Super
> VHS has theoretically close to 500,

Actually, it's 480 for SuperVHS... but it requires a better source,
or GenLock-like hardware with a standard source, or spindle-sync
for tape-to-tape, to achieve.

> where as the broadcast
> format BetaSP is only 450. This leads some people to claim that Super
> VHS is superior to BetaSP because they are ignoring SVHS's terrible
> colour resolution.

8-).  You PAL guys just won't let that one go, will you?

> Modern broadcast video cameras have a horizontal resolution of about
> 850 lines.

And VHS is still limited to 200...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org