Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2017 21:48:34 +0100
From:      Louie Cardone-Noott <lcn@fastmail.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sector-size and advanced format (4k) disks

Dear list,

I searched the handbook, archives, and web but couldn't find a concrete
answer to this.

 From what I can work out:
1. for compatibility, most HDDs these days present themselves as having
512 B logical / 4 k physical sectors
2. freebsd newfs (typically) sets a sector-size of 512 B and a fragment
size of 4 k

Some questions then please. First, is it optimal to force the sector
size to 4 k to match the physical sector size, or is the default (point
2, above) fine? Second, how alarmed should I be that `man newfs` says
setting the sector-size makes it impossible for fsck to find alternate
superblocks?

I thought partitioning with (say) 1 M alignment and invoking newfs with
`-S 4096` would be best. True or false?

Many thanks,
Louie