Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:43:23 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Solaris desktop and server differences

Kenneth Mays wrote:

> Here is a blurb from Sun explaining the difference between its Desktop and
> Server versions of Solaris for Intel and SPARC. I was explaining in -STABLE
> how Linux distributors are making selling versions of Linux for desktops and
> servers. An interesting note is many new servers don't come with a floppy
> drive, only a CD-ROM drive.
>
> There are cost differences in the Solaris line.
>
> Anyhow, I don't expect FreeBSD to follow this marketing tactic anytime soon
> (hope not). A press of a button is all you should need to turn
> a desktop version into a server version. There is too much to deal with
> trying to keep the program.
> - Ken

It an interesting point since Redhack does something similar with the
installation program. It has some canned combinations of install options
called "server", "KDE workstation", and "GNOME Workstation" The only
difference that I can see between them is what packages are installed
and the way some startup options are configured.
I wonder how Sun enforces their licensing?
Personally, I prefer the FreeBSD install program as it is. I'd rather
pick and choose which programs I want to run. Just because the machine
is going to be a server doesn't mean I want a particular combination of
Apache, sendmail and Samba installed.
Just my $.02

--
FreeBSD ('BSD'):
No battles to the death are recalled. It is a small Daemon wearing