Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 16:14:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, a brody <abrody@smart.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where is Mac OS X in your ports page?

On Sunday, 27 May 2001 at 23:29:09 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

I had hoped that you would give us an article.

> Time:  June 1999

Hardly news any more, is it?

> Place:  NetBSD Press Releases
>
> Current location of release:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/press/19990607a.html

> Location this ought to go on http://www.freebsd.org
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/news/press.html
>
> in the Press Releases.  Now, who was asleep at _that_ switch?!?!?!?!?!
> Our own President puts out a press release and gets mentioned on
> NetBSD's site but not FreeBSD's site?!?!?!?!  Good Lord - that
> release is linked on Apple's site!!  Explain that one!!!!!!

OK.  The way this project works is that somebody submits an article.
Preferably formatted in SGML, and with appropriate punctuation, but we
don't insist on that one.  We try not to point fingers.  As you have
proven, you can write.  Why not come up with something we can really
put up on the web site?

> And, if that's not bad enough, let me give you this link:
>
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/faq.html
>
> And some sound bites from it:
>
> "The BSD community has been extremely supportive of Apple since we first
> approached NetBSD, FreeBSD, and others about doing a better job of sharing
> code. That happened even before we announced Darwin."
>
> "We should note, however, that apart from a few architectural differences
> (such as our use of the Mach kernel), we try to keep Darwin as compatible as
> possible with FreeBSD (our BSD reference platform)"
>
> "We already synchronize our code periodically with NetBSD for most of our
> user commands, and we will soon be doing the same with FreeBSD for our
> libraries."
>
> And is this mentioned anywhere on http://www.freebsd.org?!?!  They call us
> their reference platform!!  AIEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Here's your chance.  Write an article about the relationship between
FreeBSD and MacOS X and we'll put it up.

Greg