Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 08:07:16 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        3d@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different Linux bases

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 07:11:20AM -0700, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> I have no idea which one to prefer, but it raises the question
> if it would make sense to organize the emulation to
> host different Linux bases.
>
> How dependent is the present one on RedHat?

I don't think there are any redhat-specific hacks in the kernel - we
just use the RPMs as-is, so any other linux distribution should also
just work (modulo differences in emulated kernel interfaces
corresponding to different linux kernel versions).

The big problem is that you wouldn't be able to have more than one
distribution active at a time, and you'd have to check whether all of
the linux binary ports work with the new distribution.

Kris