Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2016 15:18:24 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anti-virus for FreeBSD

--Xvok7AJaDMLc9LOuBDWkS1W5tPH3SuqS5
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--PdT81M78R26jLKTiImggQbN4skb5QWAQT

On 2016/03/24 14:25, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> (Is anybody in a mood of correcting me on the part
> that we scan for viruses attacking something else not on MS products? A=
re
> there any? ;-)

I believe that there is a growing corpus of Malware aimed at MacOS X,
IOs and Android nowadays.  Although nothing like as much as has been
aimed at various Windows versions over the years.  It's all down to how
common those OSes are and whether the malware can achieve any sort of
critical mass and whether it provides sufficient return for its authors.

Of course, while FreeBSD is an unlikely target, it is certainly not
immune.  Nothing is.  It's just it doesn't usually pay to attack FreeBSD
machines because a) most FreeBSD users tend to pay more attention to
security than your average machine-herder, and b) even if you do develop
an interesting way of breaking into FreeBSD boxes,  there aren't enough
of them around to make them worthwhile as a target for recruiting into a
botnet or the like.

Also, since FreeBSD is pretty uncommon as a desktop sysetm, attacks on
it that rely on end-users to click on things they shouldn't are pretty
futile.  Not when there's all those poorly written PHP applications and
other network-exploitable code; a much more likely attack vector against
FreeBSD -- but those tend not to require anti-virus software to defend
against.

	Cheers,

	Matthew