Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 16:13:55 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        v.demartino2@virgilio.it
Subject:   Re: Cannot print

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 03:40:11PM +0100, v.demartino2@virgilio.it wrote:
> I've just installed apsfilter on the latest FreeBSD 5.3 to print with my
> epson stylus color 640 (driver eps640lp.upp) following both the handbook
> chapter on printing & an artcle in freebsddiary.org.
> But:
> 1) If I - running apsfilter SETUP - use the 'T'(est) option, the PC tirin=
gly,
> after un unbearable  couple of minutes or so, starts printing  a first row
> of squares of the test picture only, then seems to hang, emitting from ti=
me
> to time a (useless) sound. At this point it's better to stop CTRL+Del.

Is your printer connected via the parallel port? If so, and there is a
line reading "Interrupt storm detected on "irq7: lpt0"; throttling
interrupt source", add the following to /boot/device.hints:

# For the parallel port. Set ECP mode, disable interrupt. See ppc(4).
# ECP mode is bit 3 (0x08), disabling IRQ is bit 5 (0x20).
# By disabling the IRQ I put the port "polling mode".
hint.ppc.0.flags=3D"0x28"

The lines starting with '#' are comments, you can omit these if you
want. After you have added this line, reboot and try again.

> 2) If I try to print via lpr -Plp plaintestfile the log under /var/spool/=
lpd/lp
> says
> "/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter: cannot open /var/spool/l=
pd/lp/lock:
> Permission denied"

This means apsfilter does not have access rights to that file.

> and doesn't print anything.

Try printing a file from your own home directory.

Roland
--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in e-mail
public key: http://www.keyserver.net / \    Respect for open standards

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO