Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Sonya and Jeffrey Metcalf <metcalf@snet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quest? -- Changing "From:" field from sent mail

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Sonya and Jeffrey Metcalf wrote:
> be properly responded to by my recipients.  So my question is, can
> I configure sendmail in some way that it always lists the response
> address of all the mail from all my users as "metcalf@snet.net"
> rather than "jeff@dane.snet.net" or "sonya@dane.snet.net", etc.?

The MASQUERADE_AS suggestions won't work because the mail would
then be from jeff@snet.net or sonya@snet.net.  Not metcalf@snet.net.
If you only had those two addresses you could probably work a deal
with your ISP but your etc.. suggests you have more.

One way to implement the Reply-To: suggestion so that it is
always set, regardless of MUA is to add

H?F?Reply-To: <metcalf@snet.net>

to your sendmail.cf in the section where From:, Message-ID etc..
are defined.

NB: This is *explicitly* noted as a BAD THING in _Sendmail_, the bible.

I think the best solution is to ask your provider to add a rule
to *their* S98 (local exceptions)

R$+ < @ dane.snet.net . >      $: metcalf < @ snet.net . >

They might want a little money for the service but it will work
perfectly.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com