Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:41:58 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Request for proof of sendmail config procedure

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 07:16:53PM +0100, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Sorry my reply is this late.

No problem - I have a day job that gets in the way of reading the lists,
too!  ;-)

> I actually *do* have an account with ZoneEdit.com, and I use ddclient to
> check and update my external IP address.

Yep, sounds right.

> Currently, ZoneEdit provide the two nameservers with which I registered
> my domain name, and as such provide primary DNS for my domain (as
> against my ISP's nameservers which are used on my FBSD g'way in
> /etc/resolv.conf)
>
> Like I said, I've not done *anything* to sendmail as yet, but would like
> to run a mail server that processes mail for my domain. Here's what I
> know what is expected:
>
> Run "make" in /etc/mail
> Create local-hostname file in /etc/mail and populate with the domains
> sendmail is to act for
> Backup sendmail.cf & hostname.mc (or freebsd.mc in my case)
> Edit .mc file in /etc/mail
> Use m4 compiler to generate hostname.cf
> Copy hostname.cf to sendmail.cf
> Restart sendmail

As I mentioned earlier, I can't help with this - exim is (IMHO) far easier
to manage than sendmail - the sendmail config file makes me feel slightly
queasy...  I know you can make it masquerade though, but I'll not try
to explain how - I'll leave it to someone who knows.

> Now from what I know of sendmail, attempting to run a fully configured
> (with FQDN; mailer rules & masquerading) sendmail with a badly / non /
> incorrectly configured DNS is just asking for trouble - hence my post. I
> am sorry if my initial post was less than clear on the info I require.
>
> In essence then:-
> Do I / Can I run my own nameserver on my local network?
> Do I create slave or master zone entries?

You can certainly run a caching nameserver - this is actually quite a
polite thing to do - the more you cache, the less you send out to the
'Net.  I use BIND for this, and the config is pretty straight forward.
Others use djbdns, but I never got on with it.  See which you prefer.

Following on from that, no, you won't run any primary or slave zones.
ZoneEdit's servers will answer requests for your mail server's address
when another mail server has something to deliver.  My ZoneEdit account
specifies that mail for my domain is directed to my host - there is no
need to specify more then this to handle incoming mail.

For outgoing mail, you can either use your ISP's resolvers, or, if you
set up a caching name server, set your primary resolver to 127.0.0.1.
The config for your resolver will then have settings for upstream resolvers
to query - usually your ISP's, again.  Sendmail (and any other app that
needs name resolution services) will then use the right resolvers, based
on what they find in /etc/resolv.conf

I hope I am closer to the mark this time!  ;-)

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \