Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2017 21:40:18 +0800
From:      Sunpoet Po-Chuan Hsieh <sunpoet@freebsd.org>
To:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@saper.info>
Cc:        ports <ports@freebsd.org>, bhughes@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to make www/npm pick www/node4 and www/node6 instead of www/node?

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Marcin Cieslak <saper@saper.info> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in the past (before r414303[1])
> [1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/npm/Makefile?view=
> log&pathrev=414303
>
> npm had a couple of OPTIONS to select which node engine should be used.
>
> Now this is all gone and replaced with
>
> RUN_DEPENDS=    node>=0.8.0:www/node
>

> I am trying to build node-sass binaries for FreeBSD (I used to publish
> them in the past)
> and that requires running poudriere against multiple engines.
>
> The following attempt to cheat does not help:
>
>          poudriere bulk -j node4_10_3_i386 -p exp www/node4
> textproc/node-sass
>
> (textproc/node-sass is my custom port https://github.com/saper/ports
> -exp/tree/master/textproc/node-sass)
>
> since poudriere starts to build www/node4 and www/node in parallel.
>

> Would that help if the npm dependency were changed to
>
> RUN_DEPENDS=    node:www/node
>
> so that only existing executable is needed? How could I tell poudriere to
> pick node4 first?
>
> I used to maintain a private copy of the npm port with lots of OPTIONS and
> this is a PITA.
>

> I have separate poudriere jails for all architectures I have decided to
> support:
>
> $ poudriere jail -ln | grep ^node
> node4_10_3_amd64
> node4_10_3_i386
> node6_10_3_amd64
> node6_10_3_i386
> node8_10_3_amd64
> node8_10_3_i386
>
> In the past those had OPTIONS set to pick a proper engine as a www/npm
> dependency.
>

> How to do it cleanly now?
>
> Marcin

Hello,

I could add options for older node versions.
You could use these options to select different node versions for your
poudriere builds.

On the other hand, I'm planning a change for npm port.
It includes:
- Add slave ports of npm (e.g. npm-node4, npm-node6) for older node
versions.
- Remove www/npm{2,3,4}.

With this change, npm packages of different node version could be built by
FreeBSD cluster.

I'm looking forward to bhughes@'s comment.

Regards,
sunpoet