Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:24:55 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'Norman C Rice'" <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problems mounting root

Hmmm,

I thought wd0 and wd1 were the master and slave drives on the primary IDE
port (wdc0), and wd2 and wd3 the master and slave on the secondary IDE port
(wdc1). Before the system boots, when the boot: prompt appears, the default
does seem to be wd(1,a), which works, well it finds /kernel anyway.

If wd1 is in fact the second HD as you state, how come 'mount /dev/wd2s1
/mnt' works, but 'mount /dev/wd1s1 /mnt' fails?

I have tried the generic kernel as well, which should automatically try to
find the root partition on the boot device. This fails also with the same
'cannot mount root' message. Maybe I should move the secondary master to the
primary slave, leaving the secondary IDE port just for my CDROM.

I would post the output from dmesg if I could, but I need to make it boot
properly to do that. ;-)

Thanks for the reply,

Jeff.

	>On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 10:23:29PM -0000, Bond, Jeffery wrote:
	>> Hello,
	>>
	>> I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a partition on my PC. I have
two hard
	>> disks, one primary master, one secondary master. I have set aside
	>> partition on the secondary master for FreeBSD, the rest is for
Win95.

	>> The problem is when I boot, (using booteasy to select OS's),
FreeBSD panics