Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:07:05 -0500
From:      Chris Sagar <CSagar@exchange.iterated.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   adding disk drives

I am trying to add two disk arrays. My configuration is:
8 4-gb Seagate drives on one Adaptec 2944UW controller ( two identical
setups. 64 GB total, two controllers, 16 disks)
I plan to use ccd to create two 32 GB logical volumes for the system.

My question/comments:
Am I missing something in that it looks like I have to configure the
kernel to support two controllers? The controllers are probed and
detected at bootup, but where do they show in the /dev directory. What
are the device names that reflect the controller number in the disk
device names ( /dev/cont??sd0s7). The handbook is very lacking in the
part of adding disk drives. Do I need to get a BSD manaual to cover
adding disks. I  am fairly competent in various UNIXs (Intergraph, SGI,
Sun) but I am a stranger to FreeBSD.

.I have added ahc1 to my kernel config file. I have defined scbus0 as
ahc0 and scbus1 as ahc1. I have locked-down the device numbers to the
scsi ID (this is a really primitive thing to have to do). I have rebuilt
the kernel and am proceeding.

Anyone have any good tips on adding drive arrays like these? They would
be greatly appreciated

Chris Sagar
Csagar@iterated.com <mailto:Csagar@iterated.com>