Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:48:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable-modems

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> Howdy,
> 	My local TV provider announced they would offer Internet connectivity
> through a Motorola product that will let you use an ethernet card to
> connect to they fiber (TV) network .
> I wanted to join, but the local provider doesn't offer details, and
> Motorola says Unix is not supported. Anyone knows something about this?
> Of course I said I wasn't interested, Internet without Unix is a
> nonsense! But if the end-point is Ethernet, it should work.

I don't have a subscription myself, but it sounds like what Foxtel is
offering in Australia.  The Win95 box logs in to the network and the
"ethernet" switch registers its ethernet address, and an IP address is
assigned.  The IP address remains static for 24 hours, even if you log
out of the network.  So it *may* work if you have a dual-boot system -
boot in win95, log in to Foxtel, reboot in FreeBSD.

You could always try asking for the source code of the login procedure.
Try to make them understand that it is the Internet access they are
selling, not the software.  I doubt you'll get far, though.

And for those who are interested in comparitive pricing, Foxtel's
Internet access in Australia costs A$65/month for 100MB and A$0.35/MB
after that.  A$1.00 == US$0.77.

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */