Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:49:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad 365X versus 36589D-COMBO

> I've purchased a Thinkpad 365X with 10.5" TFT display for $1099
> from USA Flex.  I can't get a 3C589D-COMBO to work.

First of all, the 3C589D (vs. the 3C589, 3C589B, and 3C589C) card was
released *after* 2.2.1, and I didn't get the change into the 2.2 branch
until *after* 2.2.2 was shipped, not even knowing a release was
immenent.

> When I boot either of the pc-card boot floppies (one ftp'd from
> .jp and the one on the 2.2.1 CDROM) and let it do the default PC
> card probes it properly finds the card and hooks it in as an "ep".

Ahh, you're using the PAO patches.

> When I ifconfig it up and down I can see the LED on the BNC adapter
> flash, so we're talking to it OK.  However, it isn't working:
> attempts to load over NFS result in send errors from mount_nfs and
> attempts to do an ftp install hang when it adds the default router.
> I don't see any LED flashes at all.  Any ideas?

Yep.  It's selecting the wrong connector.  Try messing with the link
flags, and see if they help.

Either '-link0 link1' or 'link0 -link1' appended to the end of the
ifconfig line should do the trick.

Nate