Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:54:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        rehsack@liwing.de
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with building a new version of mod_php4

> From rehsack@liwing.de Thu Feb 27 11:52:44 2003
> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:52:36 +0100
> From: Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>

> It seems that you didn't upgrade the ports but reinstalled the new ones
> ever and ever again. It's really easy to upgrade a port using
> portupgrade from ports/sysutils/portupgrade

Unfortunately this is an older system (4.3),
and the current version of portupgrade requires the whole system upgrade
(since it requires the newer /usr/sbin/pkg_*), which is not an option at
this time.
However, I assume (and that's been always working with FreeBSD since early 2.x)
that properly installed versions of the libraries should work alright
as long as you are not trying to build older ports against the newer libraries,
and the new libraries required by the newer ports are installed.

Actually, I found what was the reason for the problem with the libraries:
One of the dependencies which is in the list of dependencies before
libfreetype, but relies on it. Since the older version of libfreetype
existed, it used that one, and had no problem.
Next a new version was built, so that when mod_php4 was being linked,
there were references to both older and newer versions of the
libfreetype in the code.

Thanks,

Igor

> > ext/imap/php_imap.lo: In function `zm_startup_imap':
> > ext/imap/php_imap.lo(.text+0x54b): undefined reference to `ssl_onceonlyinit'
> > *** Error code 1
>
> Which version of base system do you have? Or may it the same conflict as
> it's in freetype?
4.3