Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 1998 11:14:50 EST
From:      "Chris Day" <the_reman@hotmail.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.cdrom.com

>On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Mark Mayo wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 07:50:25PM -0800, David Greenman wrote:
>>
>> The new 400MHz P-II's are using the 100MHz bus right? If so, this
will
>> be the first new generation of hardware that I'll be considering
upgrading
>> to - since my 200MHz PPro does very well right now. It will be
>> interesting to see if the 400/100MHz PII setup will provide
>> *significant* performance improvements over the PPro..
>>
>> I think the 450MHz versions of PII will be out this summer, but it's
>> mostly the 100MHz bus that I'm interested in! :-)

Although one of the advantages the PPro does have over the PII's is that
you can have 4 PPro's and you can only have 2 PII's now if you've got
you're ftp site distributed across some machines then maybe its not so
much of a concern, but at the moment PPro's are the chip of choice for
high-end servers, plus I believe the PPro can cache all 4Gb of memory
while PII can only do 512Mb.

So dream machine would be - 4 PPro 200's (overclocked to 233 :) all with
1Mb of L2 cache and > 512Mb RAM.

regards, chris

--
Christopher Day, The reman, Loosecannon