Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:28:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        mwhite+@CMU.EDU (Matthew Jason White)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Backup Strategies

Matthew Jason White wrote:

> Hello, I'm looking into backup strategies for my two 1.0GB disks onto an
 Exabyte 8200 (2.3GB) using either dump or amanda.

> At the moment, I'm basically stuck.  I'd like to do a cyclic dump (level
> 0 every month, level 1 every week, and the hanoi pattern during the

	why bother?  your tape should hold the contents of both disks
	so do a level 0 every night.   safer.

> week), but dump seems to only like to dump one file system at a time.  I
> can't be around to change tapes for each of my file systems, so this
> really won't work.

	dump every filesystem but the last to the no-rewind device
	(eg /dev/nrst0).  the dumps will be written to the tape
	in sequence.  use restore with the '-s' flag to get the
	dump that you need back from the tape (note: '-s' uses
	fortran sytle numbering, counting from 1 not 0)

> The other option seems to use amanda.  That of course has the nice
> restore features, and will allow multiple filesystems to go onto a tape,
> but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to cycle as I described
> above without using an obscene number of tapes.

	dont bother, let amanda do a level 0 every night, or whatever
	it wants.  just tell it how many tapes you have in the
	cycle and how many days in the cycle (days MUST be less
	than tapes)