Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:04:01 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+metlife@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.org,  amd64@FreeBSD.org,  emulation@FreeBSD.org,  glewis@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Linux JDK-1.5.0_12 (i386) unusable on amd64

Hello!

I just tried to build the regular jdk15 port on my amd64 machine. It
relies on the Linux jdk15 to bootstrap.

Unfortunately, all invocations of javac and java were crashing with a
HotSpot stack (linux-sun-jdk-1.5.0.12,2).

I ended up manually replacing the bin/java and javac binaries with
shell-wrapper, that prepends ``-client'' to the arguments.

Although ``-client'' and ``-hotspot'' are supposed to be synonyms, the
trick worked and the native JDK is now building.

I'm unsure, where the blame lies -- with the Linuxulator, or the amd64
(6.2-stable from June 7th) -- but something needs to be done...

Yours,

    -mi