Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:05:49 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   two recent snapshot installer problems

Hi,

I want to open a bug report on this, but have no idea how to gather
useful info.

Attempting to install
FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20170301-r314495-memstick.img onto an
eight-drive iX system. This machine previously ran -current, but the
OS has been sadly used by book testing and I decided to do a clean
install.

Used the Guided ZFS install, no networking, no extra users, default
security.

I want a two-way mirror for the base install, and the BIOS didn't
provide serial numbers for each disk, so I wound up doing multiple
installs, thinking that once I installed to the disk that the BIOS
expected to be a boot disk, it'd find the pool and boot.

Each of the four installs failed to boot, giving me:

gptzfsboot: error 1 lba 32
error 1
gptzfsboot: error 1 lba 4294967288
gptzfsboot: error 1 lba 1
gptzfsboot: No ZFS pools located, can't boot

Old disklabels? gpart -F destroy da0 through ada3. and
reinstall. Nope.

In frustration I did an eight-disk mirror install. Got the same
message.

Fine, I'll install to the Intel RAID satadom. It's a raid config, but
it'll get me a working system. Select a ZFS stripe on raid/r0.

gpart: arg0 'raid/r0': Invalid argument

Mirror on the individual satadom drives?

Same boot message.

Any suggestions on how to gather debugging info for this?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas    Twitter @mwlauthor