Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:49:26 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Patches avail?] Re: MMAP() in STABLE/CURRENT ...

hi again,

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> : The problem is that the machine is completely locked, I can't get into
> :the debugger with CTR-ALT-ESC; no panics so there are no coredumps
> :catched. Any advise ? Could you escape in the debugger when you were hit
> :by these bugs ?
>
>     If it's completely locked up and ctl-alt-esc doesn't work (and normally
>     does work - try it on a working system to make sure that you've compiled
>     in the appropriate DDB options), and you aren't in an X display
>     (ctl-alt-esc isn't useful when done from an X display)... then your
>     lockup problem is unrelated to mmap.

 No X on the machine, but CTRL-ALT-ESC doesn't work.
 And another thing: I tried the MMAP "exploit"/test that has been floating
around at that time on another 3.2-STABLE machine SMP with 2 Pentiums and
it does lock the machine but you can switch consoles and escape to the
debugger; on the production server (K6-2 300) everything goes dead when
it happens (I haven't tried the MMAP test)...

 You're probably right, it's not the MMAP bug; but it's not faulty
hardware -- I'll have an undeniable proof in a few days, I have downgraded
to 3.1-STABLE as of 20th April...

>     If you are running an X display on this box, you may be able to get
>     more information in regards to the crash if you turn off X.
>
> :
> : I have: squid (20Mb), nntpcached (17Mb SIZE, 1Mb RES), apache, named,
> :MFS, a few PPP processes and the rest of the standard menu.
>
>     The only programs known to cause the swap problem are innd and innxmit,
>     both part of the inn news system.

 No such thing (yet); and I heard that innd-stable is OK (I have
INND-stable running on that SMP box and had no problems with it) ?...

> : OK, how about some workarounds, I can't wait anylonger for this to be
> :fixed, my situation got critical. Should I downgrade to 3.1-RELEASE (that
> :hadn't exhibit this way) or can I dare a 4.0-CURRENT (are these problems
> :present in -current too ?) ?
> :
> : Thanks,
> : Ady (@warpnet.ro)
>
>     If the machine is locking up to the point where you cannot even drop
>     into DDB, this bug is not related to the known mmap() bugs.
>
>     At this point I have no idea what might be causing your lockup problem.

 Neither do I, dammit... :-(

> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>