Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:07:05 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        cmdrpc@att.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instillation of FreeBsd 3.x

> Hi
> Recently, I tried to upgrade my FreeBSD 3.0 system to a
> later version of 3.x FreeBSD.  I made the FreeBSD boot
> disk and when I went to boot the system with any boot
> disk greater than FreeBSD 3.0.  I received
>     /boot.config: -P
>     Keyboard: no

Are you certain it says "no" at this point?  It should have stopped
printing to the console at this point.

>     >> FreeBSD/i386 Boot
>     Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/loader
>     boot:  (at this point the system either hangs or
>             garbage start to appear on the screen.  If I
>             press return more garbage is printed.)
>
> The system is a Pentium Pro with 32MB Ram, two EIDE hard
> drive 516MB and 3.6GB, AMI bios, Adaptec 2940UW,
> Microsoft serial Mouse, Northgate OMNIKey Ultra Keyboard.

Is this an 84 or 104-key keyboard?

> Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Your system appears to be hopelessly incompatible with our bootloader;
you may need to replace your video card or upgrade the system BIOS - it's
hard to tell with the symptoms you describe.

I'm sorry I can't offer more help than this.