Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:12:08 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing the load address of the kernel?

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Doug Ambrisko wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
>  > I've hacked Etherboot to load FreeBSD/aout again and now to load FreeBSD/elf.
>
> Is your code available from somewhere?  If it's usable, why not
> commit it?  Would make things probably much easier for me.  :-)
>
> I assume that the FreeBSD kernel will be ELF-only some day, so
> my own a.out hackery won't work anymore then...

We are already actively examining netboot options as part of the
new boot code project.  (I've checked out several possibilities
myself in the last six months, and Mike Smith has had the whole
issue in mind for considerably longer.)

The new boot/loader already provides a generic solution by making
both disk and network devices available to boot from.  So the issue
is mainly that of low-level NIC support.

However alternatives choices are always good; and this is one of
the reasons the ports collection exists.  There's actually just
little particular benefit in maintaining such code in the source
tree itself.

When an ELF kernel becomes standard, I'd be strongly in favor of
moving even existing code like dosboot into ports.  There is
precedence for this: mkisofs, for instance.

--
Robert Nordier