Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:07:36 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SQL Questions (MySQL or PostgreSQL?)

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

Then again, you could just ride the fence and install them both . . .

I'd also suggest you start with MySQL though.  As mentioned
previously, it's the more commonly used DB.  I started with
PostgreSQL, and wound up having to install MySQL anyway because I
wanted to try some apps that requred it.  No big deal, they listen on
different ports, and if you aren't running anything "real life" you
won't notice them on a reasonably modern system.

Besides, there are more MySQL books out there.

Lou

On 02/11/05 06:59 PM, Ean Kingston sat at the `puter and typed:

> > > i would like to suggest PostgreSQL if your objective is learning SQL.
> > > MySQL only provides a subset.
> > >
> > > it is by no means more complicated to install or to get started.
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Jan
> >
> > What is the difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL?
> >  From what I see MySQL seems to be more common.
>=20
> From a basic design standpoint, MySQL was designed to be a fast language=
=20
> compatible RDBMS system. To achieve that goal they cut out a lot of featu=
res.=20
> Particularly those related to integrity, consistency, and validity checki=
ng.
>=20
> Postgres is designed to be a fully functional RDBMS that complies with th=
e SQL=20
> standard. It includes integrity, consistency, and validity checking that=
=20
> MySQL lacks.
>=20
> I also think one of the reasons that MySQL is more common than Postgres i=
s=20
> because when they were both starting out, MySQL got a functional RDBMS ou=
t=20
> much sooner than Postgres did and when Postgres did get theirs out, MySQL=
 was=20
> a lot faster (because of the lack of data validation). Postgres has since=
=20
> closed the gap a lot on the speed issues while keeping the data integrity.
>=20
> On the other hand, there are a lot more tools that make managing a MySQL=
=20
> server easier.
>=20
> --=20
> Ean Kingston
>=20
> E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org
rg"
>=20

--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

Factorials were someone's attempt to make math LOOK exciting.

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--