Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:13:21 +0100
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot is full after running "make installkernel" on

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 17:02:54 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Doesn't that seem odd that the "default" partition size for root
> (512M) isn't quite big enough?

It's not that odd: nobody has bothered to update the default partition
sizes in sysinstall for a good few years, I suspect because most
people use a custom layout and haven't noticed that the defaults are
bad. I'm going to checkin a fix in a couple of days.

> Should I make the partition size slightly larger (on future installs)
> to eliminate this problem?

Yes, you should do. I don't usually use the default partitioning
because for years I've been creating a 1GB /, 4GB /var and 1GB /tmp and
the defaults sysinstall chooses are no good.

> As I understand it this is
> not actually the solution the "in the know" folks recommend. I was
> advised to just delete kernel.old.

I'd consider that bad advice: the defaults sysinstall chooses are
currently just wrong, and you should indeed be setting / to at least
1GB so you don't run out of space. The 'solution' of deleting
kernel.old or not installing symbols is just a workaround and is
certainly less than ideal.

--
Bruce Cran